Why Do People Say God Bless You When You Sneeze?
- Edward C. Miller
When someone sneezes, people often respond by saying ″God Bless You″ or ″Gesundheit.″ There are a lot of different reasons why people do this. One possible interpretation of the statement is that it is a form of thanking the individual and wishing them well in their health.
People used to believe that a sneeze caused someone to expel their soul out of their body; hence, the phrase ″God bless you″ or ″Bless you″ was employed as a defense against the devil taking your soul when someone sneezed. ORIGIN 2. The bubonic plague, often known as the Black Death, was extremely common in Europe throughout the Middle Ages, specifically the 14th century.
Why do we say “Bless You” when we sneeze?
- This belief dates back to more superstitious periods, when it was thought that sneezing would cause the soul to depart from the body.
- The incantation ″bless you,″ also known as ″God bless you,″ was spoken to free the soul from Satan’s grasp and give it back to the one who was entitled to it.
- This was done to prevent the soul from being taken by the devil.
- It dates back to the Great Plague that swept the world.
How should we respond to a sneeze According to the Bible?
According to a popular urban legend, Pope Gregory I was the one who mandated that people should reply to a sneeze by saying ″God bless you″ and then making the sign of the cross over their mouths. There is nothing inappropriate or unbiblical in wishing God’s blessing on someone who sneezes in modern times (or even on those who don’t!). In fact, it is common practice.
Why do we sneeze when we have bad luck?
- Another notion is based on the idea that sneezing may truly release the spirit from the body, which stems from an old religion.
- unless, of course, God has blessed you in such a way that He has protected you from this occurring.
- Some people even thought that the spirits that left the body were solely wicked, and that the bad spirits would be free to wander with everyone else if the spirits that left the body were ejected from the body.